Friday, 8 October 2010

First Entry - Some artists that are insiping me right now...


This week I have been looking at the work of character artists, and been gathering some Ideas about what makes a good portfolio and showreel.


I thought I would start by linking a few bits of work that really inspire and motivate me to grow as an artist.






Vitaly Bulgarov is a character Artist currently working as a cinematic artist for Blizzard entertainment. His work is just breathtaking. His hard edge mechanical sculpting is incredible. He manages to make his mechanical work look like it would actually work, which adds to the believability of the work. He also is brilliant at making his work look battle worn and haggard. His organic work is great too, he stylistically works on gears of war and Starcraft style characters, and does this to a standard that is so high that it is hard to find better.





Another artist that I have found this week that is inspiring is Jelmer Boskam, His likeness work is brilliant, and is relevant to my A.R.T project. One piece that I really admire is his Johnny Depp sculpt. The way he has captured not only the likeness, but the attitude of Depp is something that I strive to be able to do in my own work. I think that it is one thing to make a model that looks like the person it is supposed to, but to capture the personality of a person or the emotion of a moment is another skill all together.


Over the next week I am going to keep looking at portfolios of artists and try to find some good examples of actual show reels, and some portfolio websites that I feel are well designed.

No comments:

Post a Comment