This week my task is to compile a list of companies that I would like to be invited to the end of year show, and to justify these choices. I think the best way to do this would be to firstly cover the criteria I would like to see in a potential employer, although this is probably a luxury no gradute will ever get!
- Art/Game Style - Probably the most important thing for me would be that I was creating art in a style that I find interesting, this doesn't mean I am pigeon holing myself to one art style, but does mean that I'd probably not want to work for a company where my job consists of Sculpting Footballer's ears all day! The game style is pretty much that same thing, but less important than art style, If a game was a style I don't enjoy, but had a great art direction, I would be more than happy to work on it.
- Work Ethic - The game industry is never going to be a stress and crunch free environment, but I would definitely want to work for a company that has good employee benefits.
- Location - Being in a long term relationship, I have to consider my partner in my career decisions. As I am not originally from the midlands, after university I will most likely be moving closer to my home city of Brighton, This means that I will obviously favour companies that are in the south of England and the london area.
Now with these criteria, I can make some choices on who I would like to come visit the end of year show.
Relentless Software - Studio Situated in my home town of Brighton, This studio makes social games with an awesome stylised art direction. The company also operates a "No crunch" policy, meaning that you are not expected to work more that you dedicated hours. This is a company that is Ideal for me to work for, the location, art style and work ethic all match up to my criteria.
- Eurocom - A derby local company that would be a brilliant first company to work for, they have made lots of good games and have some good ties with Derby university.
- Blackrock - Another Brighton based company, focusing on racing games. Vehichle modelling is something that I would love to get into if I cannot get find work as a character artist, so this company would suit me well.
- Splash Damage - Awesome art style on the upcoming game Brink, located in London, and with some very character focused games. Have good employee benefits like flexi time, making it easier to commute.
- Rocksteady - The company that got me into character modelling. The art style of Arkham Asylum made me want to make characters that looked as good as the ones in the game. Located in london. Good employee benefits system.
- Rebelion - Cool, gritty, realistic art style to their games.
- Lionhead - Big fan of their games and art style. Would be a great company to work for as they are in a commutable location, and create world class games.
No comments:
Post a Comment