I have decided to enter the Polycount Brawl Competition, I think this it is a pivotal part of getting my name out there, and getting some crits from people that are not my friends, meaning that they can be brutally honest about what is wrong with my models. I think that the ability to get non sugar coated crits, is essential to growth as an artist.
I have also taken some time to sign up to a variety of 3D modelling communeties, and will envedour to check these sites regularly, and post my work up for both crits, and to get my name known within the community. As a character artist, the competition is vast, but the publicity matches this. Character artists are seemingly the part of the games industry that people that arent in the industry are most interested about, so there is a lot of scope to get myself known if I produce some great work! I have also got myself a new email address, that I will only be using specifically for career based communication. This seems like a bit of a no brainer, but it's also a wise thing to do, I have also tied this email address to my phone, which means that I will know if I have a work related mail even if I am not at my pc. As much as this seems a bit gimmicky, I think it's a very useful tool that will allow me to be prompt in replying to anything to do with my career.
I have also set up a linkedin profile, which will hopefully add another avenue for potential employers to find me.
The other news, this week is that following my last dissertation meeting with Andreas, he would like me to consider publishing my dissertation at the CGAMES2011 Conference in the USA, this would make me a published author, and would also be a great thing to have on my CV. The experience of being an author proves that I have academic skills as well as 3D and 2D art skills, and will open up further avenues of employment within the games industry such as doing PR talks at conferences and other promotion events.
No comments:
Post a Comment