Wednesday, 11 May 2011

Marmoset and End of Year Show

Over the past few weeks I have been hard at work on getting my two character models for the advanced modelling and animation module completed. One of the main considerations when coming to end of a model is how I am going to display it for people to see. I think one of the most important things I have learned this semester is that presentation really is everything with displaying characters. It seems redundant to say it, but it can be the best model in the world, but if the presentation is bad, then the whole piece is bad. This can also go the other way, with making a not so good model look good.

Due to this fact, I have been pursuing better ways to display my work, and I think I have found a winner. Marmoset Toolbag is a really powerful little rendering tool. It allows artists to easily get the same type of effects that current gen software like the UDK can get, but is specifically designed to display models, or characters. The tool has had such a positive effect on how my work looks that I have made it a solid part of my workflow, I even tend to use it for viewing the model more that I use Maya.

 I will be using marmoset for the rendering of all of my final presentation sheets and my show reel, as I feel it delivers the closest to in-game renders as possible, and presents great results.

I also did a little more work on the end of year show stuff. I have been looking at using the 3D printing plugin in zbrush, and have also been looking at getting some very large renders (4000x6000 polys) of work done for the cardboard cut out. I am looking forwards to showing my work at the end of year show, and really think that it's going to be a great experience showing work to visitors.

No comments:

Post a Comment