Friday, 13 May 2011

Final Blog entry

Its done! A years worth of uni work has culminated into this Show reel, Website and Presentation Sheets!

The show reel video is the main part of this module for me, as a character artist, show reels are the main selling point for your work, and that's why I chose to dedicate 50% of my grade to it. It's been a lot of work, and a lot of rendering but I am really happy with final result. I started by getting marmoset scenes set up of the characters, and setting up interesting lighting for the characters. I then went on to take a series of renders and high res screen shots from different angles. These were then compiled together in after effects and edited to make the video flow well.


 
(available in 1080p on youtube  


The next thing to do was professional standard presentation sheets. These will also be used for the end of year show. As they come together as part of the package with my business card and show reel, I went for the same style throughout, keeping typography and style the same, I feel that this gives a unique and established appearance to all of my work, and makes the work seem that little bit more polished. I have attached 2 of the sheets to my blog, but there are 10 of them available in the gallery at www.terrybaldock.co.uk.




The other big piece of work for the hand in was my website. I have now got the website updated with all my new work, and a link to my show reel.  It can be found at  www.terrybaldock.co.uk

Future Plans

Now that all of my work for university is done, It is time to look to the future. Ultimately I am going to actively hunt for employment as soon as I leave university, but I am also aware of the difficulties of getting your first job in this industry. I plan to continue building a portfolio, as well as becoming a much more active member on forums such as polycount and cgsociety and taking part in competitions wherever possible.

Module Conclusion

This module has caused me to look at myself from a different perspective. I realised during this year that I have to sell myself not only as an artist, but as a person and a whole professional package. I have dedicated a lot more time to these elements of being a 3D artist due to this module, and feel that I have definitely learnt a lot about marketing myself as a professional. I feel that this module has prepared me for the challenges I will face once I leave university and pursue a career as a 3D artist and has forced me to make sure that I am prepared for professional life after graduation.

No comments:

Post a Comment